We have almost 200 Toastmasters clubs from Freeport to Madisonville and from Brookshire to Winnie, all across Houston. We are certain that there is a Toastmasters Club that fits your schedule and location. Please take some time to explore what District 56 Toastmasters has to offer.
Visit a Club near you: http://reports.toastmasters.org/findaclub . Get ready to improve in Communication and Leadership with Toastmasters International.
If there's not a club near you, Start a Club (click the link) http://www.toastmasters.org/startaclub.aspx .
District 56 Celebrates 55 years of Service to it's members and clubs in 2013. Come celebrate with us at one of our club meetings.
This issue is full of information about our Nominated Candidates for District Elections on May 18th 2013.
Read all about your District.
Find a Club [Click here]
Our List of Nominated Candidates for District Office 2013-2014 [click here]
For Contests and Events: Our current Dignitaries List [click here]
SPRING CONFERENCE 2013
Register NOW for $125
A-La-Carte registration now available!
Select your Spring Conference 2013 Educational Seminars [click here]
IMPORTANT BUSINESS MEETING
SAT MAY 18th
BUSINESS MEETING - DISTRICT COUNCIL MEETING 10:00 AM - 11:45 AM.
CLUB PRESIDENTS and VICE PRESIDENTS EDUCATION AND DISTRICT OFFICERS SHOULD BE IN ATTENDANCE. QUORUM REQUIRED.
The Agenda for the Business Meeting with links to Pre-Reads is available at
The Proxy Form is available at:
Directions to South Shore Harbour Resort are available at:
Please arrive early to get through Credentials.
Congratulations to our 46 DTM awardees since May 2011.
They met the challenge to have 55 DTMs by our District's 55th Anniversary Spring Conference 2013.
These and other new DTMs will be honored at the DTM Ceremony at 4:30PM on Sat May 18th.
This is a FREE Event. Please attend and support these members.
Give us your feedback at: http://tinyurl.com/D56Feedback
Our Good Fortune:
Where else in the world would you be able to see and hear 7 World Champions in the space of 13 months?
LaShunda Rundles 2008 WCPS - May 18th - 19th 2012 [pictures]
Jim Key 2003 WCPS - June 2nd 2012 [more info]
Vikas Jhingran 2007 WCPS - June 2nd 2012
Darren LaCroix 2001 WCPS - March 18th 2013 [more info]
Craig Valentine 1999 WCPS - March 18th 2013 [more info]
Ryan Avery 2012 WCPS - May 17th - 18th 2013 [more info]
Vikas Jhingran 2007 WCPS - June 1st 2013 [more info]
District 56 is very grateful to our World Champions for saying yes our District and stopped by to coach our speakers.
You are our HEROes.
Our District's Performance:
Our DTM 55x55 Progress Chart:
Our target is 55 new DTMs from May 2011 to May 2013 for our District's 55th Anniversary Spring Conference on May 18th. Our members have been on a journey to achieve their DTMs. Much has been accomplished. We are almost there with 46 new DTMs.
We encourage you to set your goal and achieve it. We recognize and celebrate members achievements.
Congratulations to our members achieving their goals.
|Find out more about Toastmasters International [click here]||New Performance Reports [click here]||Register for Spring Conference [click here]|
|Global 1+1 Membership Drive [click here]||D56 Incentive Programs Spring 2013 [click here]||Spring Contests Season (Feb-May) [click here]|
|Area Governors Visit Clubs (Jan - Mar) [click here]||Smedley Awardees 2012 (Aug-Sept) [click here]||Talk Up Toastmasters (Feb-Mar) [click here]|
|Fall Conference 2012 Awardees [click here]||State of the District [click here]||
Find answers to your questions
- Download/Resource Center (find all documents you need here)
- Get to know your Area/Division Governor:
- Find my club's Division
- Division L
- Division M
- Division N
- Division O
- Division P
- Division Q
- Division R
- Read the Toastmasters Magazine Online
- District 56 Hall of Fame (coming soon)
- 2012-2013 District alignment
- 2012 Contest Rule Book
The Mission of the District
"The mission of the district is to enhance the performance and extend the network of clubs, thereby offering greater numbers of people the opportunity to benefit from the Toastmasters educational program by:
- Focusing on the critical success factors as specified by the district educational and membership goals.
- Ensuring that each club effectively fulfills its responsibilities to its members.
- Providing effective training and leadership development opportunities for club and district officers.
District 56 fulfills its mission with the following:
- Your path to Distinguished Toastmaster
- Your club's path to Distinguished
- Toastmasters Leadership Institutes (TLI)
- Speech Contest Information
- District Conference Information
- Start a New Club
- Membership Building Ideas
- Holding a Speechcraft (coming soon)
- Marketing Tips
Congratulations to District 56's 2013 International Speech Contest Winners
1st Place Winner: Donna Stevenson (Div P)
2nd Place Winner: Kelly Sargeant (Div M)
3rd Place Winner: Tania Turner (Div L)
Congratulations to the 2013 District 56 Spring Table Topics Contest Winners
1st Place Winner: Charles Samuel (Division R)
2nd Place Winner: Tim DeRosa (Division M)
3rd Place Winner: Natalee Bailey (Division N)
Vice President Membership - Karen G. Blake, DTM / Heritage Plaza Toastmasters
Vice President Public Relations - Bruce Garrett / North Houston Project Management
Club Secretary - Lisa Davis / Speak Up 900!
Club Treasurer - Lori Brown / ConocoPhillips Toastmasters Club
Sergeant at Arms - Belinda Brockman / Dining Out Toastmasters
- Explanation - This District 56 Spirit of Success Award is presented in honor of Bert Mann. Long after he had achieved his personal goals in Toastmasters, District 56 Governor and International Director, Bert continued his commitment to Toastmasters. During his 42 years as a Toastmaster, he contributed his knowledge, experience, legal expertise, and maintained regular attendance at Club and District meetings as long as his health permitted. He was a continuing mentor to individual Toastmasters as well as to District officers.
- Requirement - The award will be presented to a District 56 Toastmaster who exemplifies unselfish service year after year on behalf of Toastmasters.
2012-2013 Winner of the Bert Mann Spirit of Success Award is:
Jeanette Williams-Wade, DTM
For Excellent Service and her unselfish dedication to District 56
David Abel Standard of Excellence Award (1990)
- Explanation – This District 56 Standard of Excellence Award is presented in honor of David Abel. A standard of excellence was a minimal quest for David. As District 56 Governor and Parliamentarian, David inspired and challenged everyone to their highest level of performance.
- Requirement – This award will be presented to a District 56 Toastmaster for exemplary achievement in either personal performance of performance of responsibilities.
2012-2013 Winner of the David Abel Standard of Excellence Award is:
Carol Caraway, DTM
For Leadership Excellence and for reminding us that "Where There's a Will, There's a Way!"
Suzy Gormley Achievement Award (1994)
- Explanation – This District 56 Achievement Award is presented in honor of Suzy Gormley. Despite the depth of her physical distress, Suzy maintained an active role in Toastmasters culminating with her term as District 56 Governor in 1982-83. She inspired all Toastmasters through her unfailing positive attitude, smiling and caring manner, passion for excellence, and her devotion to helping others succeed.
- Requirement – This award will be presented to a District 56 Toastmaster who, despite adversity, continues to regularly attend meetings, maintain leadership roles, and participate in Toastmaster activities.
2012-2013 Winner of the Suzy Gormley Achievement Award is:
Fran Kanz, DTM
For Excellence in Service with the Forum 56 newsletter
For Excellence in Service serving the needs of the district
For Excellence in Service with the Spring Conference Program
For Excellence in Service with the New Clubs
For Excellence in Service and Integrity
Division L Governor: Thomas Rush, CC, ALB
Division M Governor: Cynthia Abdon, DTM
Division N Governor: Cornelia van Herel, ACB
Division O Governor: Kalyan Dusi, ACB, ALB
Division P Governor: Carolyn Jarrett, ACS, ALB
Division Q Governor: Sandeep Rout, CC, CL
Division R Governor: Sharad Kalghagti, ACS, ALB
Congratulations to our newly elected district officers! We look forward to your leadership and service to the members and clubs of District 56 in the upcoming Toastmasters year!
District 56 Toastmasters is pleased to celebrate the following clubs for
adding five or more new, dual or reinstated members to their roster between February 1 and March 31
as part of the Talk Up Toastmasters Membership Drive.
For the month of April, District 56 Toastmasters is pleased to recognize and award Chris White with the Unsung HERO Award. Chris is a member of Club # 1530349 / BestAssets.
Congratulations Chris. You are a true leader. Chris will be presented with a Toastmasters Pin by his Area Governor during the month of April. Please Celebrate and Congratulate Chris.
See why Chris was recommended as a D56 Unsung HERO and how you too can recommend someone who is not in District Leadership but you saw doing great work for members or clubs.